• New names for the four-hospital affiliation known as Fletcher Allen Partners, and its individual members, were made official in recognition that the partnership has become one organization focused on delivering academic medicine to the people of Vermont and northern New York. Fletcher Allen Partners are now be known as The University of Vermont Health Network, and three of the Partner hospitals — Central Vermont Medical Center, Champlain Valley Physicians Hospital and Elizabethtown Community Hospital — will add that title to their existing names. Fletcher Allen Health Care has become The University of Vermont Medical Center. A phased rollout of the new identities will begin immediately, and is expected to take 12-18 months.
• Humility of Mary Health Partners changed its name to Mercy Health. The change will more accurately reflect a partnership with the network of health care providers that comprise Mercy Health, the largest health system in Ohio. This transition began in July when Catholic Health Partners, HMHP’s parent, changed its name to Mercy Health. These changes are in name only. All services, locations, modes of operation, care providers, administrators and employees will remain the same.
• Scripps Health, La Jolla, Calif. took possession of its new $456 million, the 383,000-square-foot Prebys Cardiovascular Institute. Conrad Prebys donated $45 million to Scripps Health — the largest donation in its history — to help build the facility. Jacobs Engineering Group Inc. served as the construction management firm on behalf of Scripps Health. McCarthy Building Companies Inc. was the design-assist general contractor and HOK Architects was the project architect.
• The 1.1-million-square-foot, 21-floor freestanding cancer hospital, The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center – Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital and Richard J. Solove Research Institute was dedicated in November. It is the third-largest cancer hospital in the country. The building brings clinical care, research and education together in a highly subspecialized care model. The new OSUCCC-James has the nation’s first cancer emergency department integrated with a hospital’s main emergency department. This unit includes 15 cancer treatment stations staffed by a team of doctors and nurses specially trained in oncology and emergency medicine. The James also includes one of the largest cancer surgical facilities in the United States, with 14 operating rooms, including six interventional operating suites and two suites connected to a 3-Tesla MRI, allowing patients to be imaged during surgery. The James is one of only two centers in the country to construct its radiation center on the second floor, providing patients and family’s sunlight and a view overlooking the park outside.
• The 450,000 square-foot Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children has opened. The hospital’s new emergency department opened to new patients in November, nearly doubling the hospital’s capacity to treat emergencies. Nemours is a children’s health system that owns and operates the Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children in Wilmington, Delaware and the Nemours Children’s Hospital in Orlando, Florida along with major pediatric specialty clinics in Delaware, Florida, Pennsylvania and New Jersey.