· Philanthropists Audrey and Martin Gruss donated $5 million to Southampton Hospital in Eastern Long Island. The hospital will create the Audrey and Martin Gruss Heart and Stroke Center to provide stroke treatment and carotid stents, and consolidate a broad spectrum of diagnostic and treatment capabilities.
· Julia and George Argyros made a $5 million gift to Children's Hospital of Orange County (Calif.) for the 22,000-square-foot Julia and George Argyros Emergency Department, opening in March 2013. It will feature 31 treatment rooms. It is part of CHOC's new, 425,000-square-foot, seven-story tower, which also will house advanced operating rooms, laboratory, pathology and imaging services.
· Warner Thomas, president and chief operating officer of Ochsner Health System, became the system's president and chief executive officer on Sept. 1. He succeeds Patrick Quinlan, M.D., who became CEO, Ochsner Clinic Foundation and Ochsner International Services, and executive director, Center for Community Wellness and Health Policy. William Pinsky, M.D., continues as executive vice president and chief academic officer, Ochsner Health System, and also became executive vice president, clinical affairs for international business. Richard Milani, M.D. formerly vice chairman, department of cardiology, became chief clinical transformation officer, Ochsner Health System. Michael Hulefeld, who was CEO, Ochsner Medical Center and New Orleans region, became executive vice president and chief operating officer, Ochsner Health System. Rob Wolterman, who was CEO, New Orleans Community Hospitals, became CEO of Ochsner Medical Center. Mark Muller, who was system vice president of strategy, became senior vice president of strategy and business development and will expand his leadership role to include international business. Dawn Pevey Mauk, R.N., who was chief nursing officer for the Baton Rouge region, became chairwoman of the system nursing executive committee.
· Jani L. Johnson became president and CEO for Saint Luke's South Hospital, Overland Park, Kan., on Sept. 10. She replaces Katherine Howell, who became chief nurse executive with Saint Luke's Health System. Johnson's career with Saint Luke's Health System began in 1985 as a staff nurse at Saint Luke's Mid America Heart Institute.
· Elaine Batchlor, M.D., became CEO of Martin Luther King Jr. Community Hospital in Los Angeles in August. She was chief medical officer for L.A. Care, a public health plan. The hospital is scheduled to open in 2014 to replace King-Drew Hospital.
· Daniel J. Cancelmi became chief financial officer for Tenet Healthcare Corp. in September. He has been the principal accounting officer of Tenet since 2007.