• R. Milton Johnson will become chief executive officer of HCA, Nashville, Tenn., at the end of the year. He will succeed Richard M. Bracken, who will transition from chairman and CEO to chairman of the board. Johnson currently is HCA's president and chief financial officer.
• Alan Levine will become president and CEO of Mountain States Health Alliance, Johnson City, Tenn., on Jan. 6, 2014. He will succeed Dennis Vonderfecht, who will retire at the end of this year. Prior to his current job as group president overseeing the operations of more than 40 hospitals and their affiliated services for Health Management Associates, Levine was secretary of the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals and senior policy adviseor to Gov. Bobby Jindal.
• Michael Everett was appointed CEO of LifePoint Hospitals' Scott Memorial Hospital, Scottsburg, Ind., on July 31. He was assistant administrator of LifePoint's Lake Cumberland Regional Hospital in Somerset, Ky., and administrative director of the Lake Cumberland Surgery Center.
• Stephen M. Erixon became market CEO of LifePoint Hospitals' Lander (Wyo.) Regional Hospital and Riverton (Wyo.) Memorial Hospital in July. He had been CEO of LRH since June 2012 and CEO of RMH on an interim basis since January.
• Edward Lovern became chief operating officer of Piedmont Atlanta Hospital in July. Lovern was the executive vice president and chief administrative officer for Piedmont Healthcare.
• David Rothenberger became chief financial officer of Health Management Associates' Arkansas, Texas and Oklahoma markets in August. He had overseen finances for Health Management's Division Two and Florida Group.
• Patrick Muldoon became president of UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester on Aug. 26. He was president and CEO of Central New England HealthAlliance Hospital, also a member of the UMass Memorial Health Care system.
• Phillip A. Rivera was promoted to president of physician services for Memorial Medical Center, Las Cruces, N.M., in July. Rivera had been MMC's COO since July 2010. He will continue as COO until a successor is named.
• Chris Howard became president of hospital operations and executive vice president of SSM Health Care, and Gaurov Dayal, M.D., became president of health care delivery, finance and integration, and executive vice president of SSM Health Care.
• Vanguard Health Systems, Nashville, named Andrei Soran president of DMC Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital, Clinton Township, Mich., and DMC Surgery Hospital in Madison Heights, Mich., in August. Soran succeeded Lynn Torossian, who became president of DMC's Harper University Hospital and Hutzel Women's Hospital in July. Soran was CEO of Vanguard's MetroWest Medical Center in Framingham, Mass.
• Jon B. Rousseau became president of Kindred Healthcare Inc.'s new care management division in August. He was vice president of global marketing and vice president of North America marketing for Mylan Inc., a specialty pharmaceutical company. The care management division will develop programs to enable Kindred and its partners to better manage episodes of care, create more seamless transitions between care settings and improve patient satisfaction.
• William C. Daniel, M.D., became chief quality officer of Saint Luke's Health System,. Kansas City, Mo. Daniel joined Saint Luke's Cardiovascular Consultants in 1998 and was the practice's medical director for quality, electronic health record and the vein treatment center.
For more executive appointments, mergers and acquisitions and other hospital business news, visit www.hhnmag.com, click on Current Issue and then on Business Watch.